Monday, July 20, 2015

Going Home

It's been a very long time, not only in years but also, and especially, in terms of my life. When I left, I was a angry young man, covering his pain with false bravado and bon homme. That was fifty years ago this September. I was very happy to be done with my home, my childhood, and be starting an adventure. I'd just turned eighteen when I came to the Big Apple to study acting. I was in way over my head. The only thing I was any good at was the cast parties. Other than that I had no business being in show business. Maybe I could write a song...



The last time I saw my mother was in the Spring of 2005. My life was in turmoil I had a few days vacation, a car and a dog that seemed like he might be fun to bring along. I was probably there three days and most of it was driving her from the assisted-living center to lunch, some low level shopping - how much does a ninety something need anyway? Looking back, even though I didn't particularly wish to be there, it was not only the last time I would see her alive, but a break from a life that was in the process of turning upside down.

Ten years and a few months later I'm about to go back. I'm going back because I left a lot of pain behind me a long time ago. In these last fifty years my life has been full of adventure, sometimes more than I would have wished. But it's only been recently, while researching a book about my father, that I discovered how adventure had been part of my blood from the day I was born.

So I'm off to visit my past, make friends with the present, and prepare myself for what, I'm sure, will be an adventurous future.

Tarrytown, NY - 7/20/15

No comments: